Sunday, December 23, 2007

Smith And the Media: Part Seven: My Favourite Exhibit;

"HAROLD LEVY (WHO IS NOT MY FAVOURITE JOURNALIST) AT THE TORONTO STAR JUST PHONED TO GET A "NO COMMENT" FROM ME CONCERNING THE "JENNA" CASE."

DR. CHARLES SMITH IN A LETTER TO CHIEF CORONER DR. JAMES YOUNG AND OTHERS;

During the six or seven years that I have been reporting on Dr. Charles Smith I have always had the feeling that my telephone calls to him for comment were not going unnoticed in the Chief Coroner's Office;

That feeling was recently substantiated by a letter introduced into evidence at the Goudge inquiry.

The letter was sent by Dr. Smith to then Chief Coroner Dr. James Young, Dr. Barry McLellan, Young's successor, and Jeff Mainland, an official, on April 2, 2002, under the subject heading , "Brenda Waudby/Toronto Star.

It reads as follows:

J, B and J;

Harold Levy (who is not my favourite journalist) at the Toronto Star just phoned to get a “No comment” from me concerning the “Jenna” case.

He is doing a follow-up story on his earlier story on the “Jenna” case. Brenda phoned him to say that the CPSO (College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario) has decided to do a review of the case, and has selected a panel of three people: A forensic pathologist, an anatomic pathologist, and a pediatrician. (Just how accurate this information is, I do not know.)

Harold phoned me to get my response and I simply told him that because this death is under criminal investigation, I am unable to comment on any aspect of it.

I am, in fact, unaware of what the College is doing, and certainly didn't know anything about the make-up of the review panel. As recently as last week, neither did the lawyers for McCarthy Tetrault.

But if they are going to have outside experts review this case while it is under criminal investigation, somewhere down the road it will make any potential court proceedings quite interesting!! (Dr. Smith's explanation marks);

Just thought you would like to know,

Charles.

P.S. When I was driving down the laneway this morning in the snow fall, I realized that many weeks ago, I had arranged for the local pool company to open it up tomorrow. I don't think it was my brightest move.


I am inclined to agree;

"The Charles Smith Blog" is now back in action after a brief seasonal rest.

Bearing Dr. Smith's seal of disapproval with great pride, I remain,

Harold Levy; hlevy15@gmail.com;