Friday, March 28, 2014

Bulletin: Teina Pora; New Zealand; The High Court has ruled that it does not have jurisdiction to grant him bail pending his appeal to the British Privy Council, the New Zealand Herald reports.

STORY: "Teina Pora has been denied bail," by Brendan Manning and Anna Leask, published bu the New Zealand Herald on March 28, 2014.

GIST: "Twice-convicted murderer and rapist Teina Pora has been declined bail by the High Court. The High Court, in its decision released this afternoon, said it did not have jurisdiction to grant bail to a prisoner pending an appeal to the Privy Council. Pora, 38, has spent 21 years behind bars for the 1992 rape and murder of Susan Burdett in Auckland. Earlier this month the Court of Appeal ruled it didn't have jurisdiction to grant bail and referred the matter back to the High Court.........At his first trial in 1994, Pora was found guilty of the murder of Ms Burdett, who was beaten with a softball bat in the bedroom of her south Auckland home in 1992. Pora had confessed to police but a retrial was ordered as doubts began to emerge about his involvement. However, at the retrial in 2000, Pora was again found guilty. After Pora's first trial, serial rapist Malcolm Rewa was convicted of raping Ms Burdett. His DNA was found at the scene and at Pora's re-trial the Crown argued the two acted together. But Pora's lawyer Jonathan Krebs said that ignored the fact they were associated with rival gangs and that Rewa had an erectile dysfunction problem. That the re-trial jury was not told of Rewa's problem was down to error on the part of Pora's then lawyer, he said. Pora is due to appear before the Parole Board on Monday and will face the Privy Council in October or November."

The entire story can be found at:

Dear Reader. Keep your eye on the Charles Smith Blog. We are following this case.
I have added a search box for content in this blog which now encompasses several thousand posts. The search box is located  near the bottom of the screen just above the list of links. I am confident that this powerful search tool provided by "Blogger" will help our readers and myself get more out of the site.

The Toronto Star, my previous employer for more than twenty incredible years, has put considerable effort into exposing the harm caused by Dr. Charles Smith and his protectors - and into pushing for reform of Ontario's forensic pediatric pathology system. The Star has a "topic" section which focuses on recent stories related to Dr. Charles Smith. It can be found at:

Information on "The Charles Smith Blog Award"- and its nomination process - can be found at:
I look forward to hearing from readers at:

Harold Levy: Publisher; The Charles Smith Blog;