Sunday, April 27, 2014

Abdelbaset al-Megrahi: Families of Lockerbie bomb victims are launching a new bid to overturn his conviction two years after his death: The Daily Record and Sunday Mail.

STORY: "Families of Lockerbie bomb victims in new bid to overturn Megrahi conviction two years after his death," by reporter Mark Aitkin, published by the Daily Record and Sunday Mail on April 27, 2014.

SUB-HEADING:  "Relatives of 20 British victims have launched third appeal to establish truth behind 1988 plane disaster which killed 270."

GIST: "THE families of Lockerbie bombing victims will launch a fresh appeal to overturn the conviction of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi on the second anniversary of his death. The Libyan intelligence officer was the only man found guilty of blowing up Pan Am flight 103, which killed 270 people on December 21, 1988. But campaigner Dr Jim Swire, whose 23-year-old daughter Flora was killed in the bombing, and other victims’ relatives believe he was innocent and will lodge an appeal against his conviction next month. Jim said: “Megrahi became my friend after I realised that he had nothing to do with the murder of my daughter. “I hope the appeal will succeed and, when it does, it means Megrahi’s family are no longer regarded as the family of the so-called Lockerbie bomber."........ The relatives of 20 British victims will now lodge an appeal with the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC), who investigate alleged miscarriages of justice. It is the third time Megrahi’s conviction has been the subject of an appeal. After he received his life sentence in 2001, Megrahi appealed but it was thrown out by judges. A second appeal saw the SCCRC refer the case back to the High Court, suggesting there “may have been a miscarriage of justice” and it was “in the interests of justice” to look at the case again. But in 2009, Megrahi, by then suffering from terminal prostate cancer, dropped his second appeal to improve his chances of being allowed to go home to Libya to die. The third appeal by Lockerbie families in Britain could now be launched on or near the second anniversary of Megrahi’s death on May 20, 2012. Last month, in a documentary shown on Al-Jazeera, a former high-ranking Iranian intelligence agent said Iran was responsible for the attack. It was supposedly in revenge for the destruction in July 1988 of an Iranian plane mistakenly shot down by USS Vincennes, killing 290 people."

The entire story can be found at:


Dear Reader. Keep your eye on the Charles Smith Blog. We are following this case.
I have added a search box for content in this blog which now encompasses several thousand posts. The search box is located  near the bottom of the screen just above the list of links. I am confident that this powerful search tool provided by "Blogger" will help our readers and myself get more out of the site.

The Toronto Star, my previous employer for more than twenty incredible years, has put considerable effort into exposing the harm caused by Dr. Charles Smith and his protectors - and into pushing for reform of Ontario's forensic pediatric pathology system. The Star has a "topic" section which focuses on recent stories related to Dr. Charles Smith. It can be found at:

Information on "The Charles Smith Blog Award"- and its nomination process - can be found at:
I look forward to hearing from readers at:

Harold Levy: Publisher; The Charles Smith Blog;