Monday, December 15, 2014

Back in action: Catch-up (4): David McCallum (and the late Willie Stuckey) Finally a free man after 29 years. The 1986 murder and kidnapping convictions based on false confessions made in the absence of any other evidence have finally been vacated.

PUBLISHER'S  NOTE: The late famed boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter's dying wish finally has come true.  “My single regret in life is that David McCallum ...  is still in prison,” Rubin (Hurricane) Carter wrote in a Daily News op-ed two months before he died in April, calling for Brooklyn District Attorney Kenneth Thompson to review the case."

STORY: "Brooklyn DA vacates McCallum's sentence," by reporter Stephon Johnson, published by Amsterdam News on December 1, 2014.

GIST:  "David McCallum is a free man, courtesy of Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson. Last week, Thompson announced that he will move to vacate murder and other charges against David McCallum and the late Willie Stuckey, both of whom were convicted in the 1985 kidnapping and murder of Nathan Blenner.......... The decision follows a review of the case by the district attorney’s Conviction Review Unit. Nathan Blenner, 20, was kidnapped Oct. 20, 1985, in front of his home in South Ozone Park, Queens. His body was found the next day in an undeveloped lot next to Aberdeen Park in Bushwick, Brooklyn. He was shot once in the head. McCallum and Stuckey (who has since died) were only 16 years old when they were charged with the kidnapping and murder of Blenner. They were then arrested and eventually confessed to the crime. McCallum and Stuckey were convicted of second-degree murder, first-degree kidnapping, first-degree robbery and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon after a jury trial, Oct. 27, 1986. They were both sentenced to the maximum of 25 years to life in prison."

The entire story can be found at:

See Daily News story: "His appeals exhausted, lawyers approached the DA’s Conviction Review Unit with evidence of another suspect who was questioned without the defense getting notified and of DNA from a car used in the abduction, which matched other men. Thompson told The Associated Press Tuesday night that the confessions were false, “in large part because these 16-year-olds were fed false facts.” He said no other evidence tied the two to the abduction or killing."


Dear Reader. Keep your eye on the Charles Smith Blog. We are following this case.
I have added a search box for content in this blog which now encompasses several thousand posts. The search box is located  near the bottom of the screen just above the list of links. I am confident that this powerful search tool provided by "Blogger" will help our readers and myself get more out of the site.

The Toronto Star, my previous employer for more than twenty incredible years, has put considerable effort into exposing the harm caused by Dr. Charles Smith and his protectors - and into pushing for reform of Ontario's forensic pediatric pathology system. The Star has a "topic" section which focuses on recent stories related to Dr. Charles Smith. It can be found at:

Information on "The Charles Smith Blog Award"- and its nomination process - can be found at:
I look forward to hearing from readers at:

Harold Levy: Publisher; The Charles Smith Blog