Monday, May 28, 2018

False positives: Hospital urine test on mother of 5-year-old; False positive for cocaine: The Detroit News reports..."I'm just completely humiliated," the mother told WXYZ-TV, Channel 7 News. "I brought (my son) to be get screened for ADHD, doing what a mother should do for her child. "After 36 hours (in jail) they had to let me go. As I'm walking out the Lieutenant waited on me (and) apologized to me and said Children's (Hospital) called him and said the results were a mistake."



GIST: "Police are no longer pursuing criminal charges against a mother who was initially jailed on the suspicion she allowed her 5-year-old son to ingest cocaine.  Prosecutors now say hospital test results were wrong. The mother brought her son to Detroit Children's Hospital because he was acting "erratically" on May 15, according to police. A urine test was conducted and, due "to a technical problem," it produced an erroneous positive result for cocaine, the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office said.  Police submitted a warrant review request soon after the false positive test result, but prosecutors returned it to police for more investigation, according to the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office. "Additional toxicology testing in the case revealed that the child did not have cocaine, or any other drugs in his system," the prosecutor's office said. Child Protective Services also opened an investigation into the mother based upon the incorrect urine test results.   "I'm just completely humiliated," the mother told WXYZ-TV, Channel 7 News. "I brought (my son) to be get screened for ADHD, doing what a mother should do for her child.  "After 36 hours (in jail) they had to let me go. As I'm walking out the Lieutenant waited on me (and) apologized to me and said Children's (Hospital) called him and said the results were a mistake."

The entire story can be read at:
 http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2018/05/5-year-old_was_not_high_on_coc.html

PUBLISHER'S NOTE: I am monitoring this case/issue. Keep your eye on the Charles Smith Blog for reports on developments. The Toronto Star, my previous employer for more than twenty incredible years, has put considerable effort into exposing the harm caused by Dr. Charles Smith and his protectors - and into pushing for reform of Ontario's forensic pediatric pathology system. The Star has a "topic" section which focuses on recent stories related to Dr. Charles Smith. It can be found at: http://www.thestar.com/topic/charlessmith. Information on "The Charles Smith Blog Award"- and its nomination process - can be found at: http://smithforensic.blogspot.com/2011/05/charles-smith-blog-award-nominations.html Please send any comments or information on other cases and issues of interest to the readers of this blog to: hlevy15@gmail.com. Harold Levy; Publisher; The Charles Smith Blog.