Their findings coalesced into a report that traces the route taken by the infamous "mystery ketch" to Furneaux Lodge in the Marlborough Sounds for the New Year's Eve party of 1997. This is the vessel to which police first looked to answers over the question of the disappearance of Hope, 17, and Smart, 21. In meticulous detail, Jenness' report describes who was aboard. Scott Watson, convicted of murdering the young pair, is not among the names.   Then, in a series of startling claims, he builds a theory around the disappearance of Hope and Smart, which explains Watson's absence. It diverges completely from the prosecution case which saw Watson convicted of their murders and sent to prison for 19 years.........Mr Jenness is not the only one to claim to have identified the ketch. A new book by Ian Wishart is due for release tomorrow and also claims to have found the yacht. It will be the fifth book written on the Sounds murders. For many, the disappearance and presumed murder of Hope and Smart is one of New Zealand's most captivating and enduring mysteries. For others, there is no mystery. The killer, police and others will say, was found guilty after an 11-week trial in 1999. Convicted, Watson remains in prison, denied parole and still maintaining his innocence. "You're wrong," he told the jury 17 years ago. He has the same message today. The yachting community had many vocal opponents of the case against Watson. As the case unfolded in court, the prosecution's assertions on issues with which yachties were familiar created a small but determined group of naysayers. Key to it was Watson's yacht - a small, single-masted vessel - and testimony Hope and Smart were last seen boarding a 40-foot two-masted ketch. Yachtie Mike Kalaugher wrote a 2001 book on the case. He said there was no way to confuse Watson's boat with a much larger ketch. "This is equivalent to confusing a truck with a Mini." The hunt for the ketch was where Mr Jenness started, along with Mr Kalaugher and Keith Hunter, author of Trial By Trickery, which makes compelling arguments against Watson's conviction. Mr Jenness told the Herald: "If we can prove that the ketch existed, and I think we have, then Watson is not guilty."......... Mr Jenness, though, believes he has proved the sighting was actually on January 3. And that night, he says, the witness was sober. That evening, evidence shows, Watson was far away on a cruising holiday with his sister Sandy. He claims another sighting two days later - January 5 - which is the most astonishing assertion in the report. By then, according to the report's chain of events, Hope and Smart had been transferred to another yacht owned by someone allegedly with convictions for serious violence. A photograph, distant and grainy, shows a flash of blonde hair on a runabout. It was taken by a woman named in the report who reported a "girl with long blonde hair clearly blowing in the slipstream". There was a young man also with her. "Both appeared to be sitting with their hands behind their backs as if ... tied." The woman's husband called police - "it was three months before NZ Police followed up the information", the report claims. A day later there is another sighting of the boat. At that point, the authors conclude, Hope and Smart are no longer aboard.

The entire story can be  found at: