Monday, March 3, 2014

"Bitemarks and wrongful executions: Law prof considers the connection," by Dr. Michael Bowers; A Must Read from an articulate critic of bitemark evidence. (A breath of fresh air. HL);


POST: "Bitemarks and wrongful executions: Law prof considers the connection," by Dr. Michael Bowers, published by his blog "CSI DDS) on February 9, 2014;  (Dr. Michael Bowers is a practicing dentist in Ventura, CA and a long time forensic consultant in the US and international court systems. He is a medical legal consultant with the Innocence Project and is soon to publish his newest book, "Forensic Testimony, Science, Law and Expert Evidence" with Elsevier/Academic Press."

GIST: I have been involved in multiple cases where bite mark identification was admitted by prosecutors  as “scientific” evidence to convict. Many have been at the trial court level where I have opposed the “elite” members within the forensic bitemark association connection,  AAFS/ABFO. I have been of some aid in exoneration litigation resulting in the the release of eight innocent men. Until recently, I had also been a “Diplomate” (certainly an impressive title)  of the ABFO, (22 years; I actually had a 4 or 5 year tenure on their Exam and Certification committee and a couple terms on their board of directors)) and as such,  I was opposing dentists within my own (small) organization which still “certifies” its applicants as a peer-reviewed forensic dental examiners. It was dicey to say the least for some of my collegial brethren. Within all these years, I have never opposed any report or testimony involving human identification via autopsy exams and dental records (i.e., dental identification). I oppose bitemark evidence used in courts. Something that I still do.""

The entire post can be found at:

http://csidds.com/2014/02/09/bitemarks-and-wrongful-executions-law-prof-considers-the-connection/

 PUBLISHER'S NOTE:

Dear Reader. Keep your eye on the Charles Smith Blog. We are following this case.

I have added a search box for content in this blog which now encompasses several thousand posts. The search box is located  near the bottom of the screen just above the list of links. I am confident that this powerful search tool provided by "Blogger" will help our readers and myself get more out of the site.

The Toronto Star, my previous employer for more than twenty incredible years, has put considerable effort into exposing the harm caused by Dr. Charles Smith and his protectors - and into pushing for reform of Ontario's forensic pediatric pathology system. The Star has a "topic" section which focuses on recent stories related to Dr. Charles Smith. It can be found at:

http://www.thestar.com/topic/charlessmith

Information on "The Charles Smith Blog Award"- and its nomination process - can be found at:
 
http://smithforensic.blogspot.ca/2013/12/the-charles-smith-award-presented-to_28.html
 
I look forward to hearing from readers at:

hlevy15@gmail.com.