"A judge awarded $4 million in damages Thursday to a couple who filed a wrongful death lawsuit against their former Cambridge nanny, who they say killed their infant daughter. The nanny, Aisling Brady McCarthy, had been indicted for murder in the highly publicized case, but ultimately charges were dropped after the state medical examiner revised the cause of the infant’s death. The couple, Sameer Sabir and Nada Siddiqui, wept in the courtroom as their lawyer, former attorney general Martha Coakley, urged the judge to award compensatory and punitive damages in the civil case. Coakley, who once specialized in child abuse prosecutions, described what she said was overwhelming medical and forensic evidence that McCarthy killed 1-year-old Rehma Sabir, through blunt force trauma to her head and excessive shaking.........Coakley said they realize McCarthy doesn’t have the $4 million they requested in the lawsuit and they aren’t trying to stop her from earning a living. Instead, she said, the case was designed to ensure that McCarthy never profits through movie or book deals. Months earlier, the couple tried, but failed, to get assurances from McCarthy through private negotiations that she would not seek to profit from the case.  The former nanny, who has since moved back to her native Ireland, was not present in the courtroom, and Thursday’s hearing comes after a default ruling was entered against her given her lack of response to the lawsuit hand-delivered to her home in County Cork. Since Rehma’s death, McCarthy has consistently denied that she ever harmed the child........ Dr. Katherine Lindstrom had originally ruled the case a homicide after conducting an autopsy, during which she found broken bones on the child’s limbs, extensive brain swelling and head bruises. However, she later received extensive requests from defense attorneys to review their medical expert reports, which offered a variety of possible alternative causes of the child’s fatality. Lindstrom ultimately changed the manner of death to “undetermined” and said the child died of “subdural hemorrhage with an unknown etiology.” She cited, among other things, an undiagnosed potential clotting disorder."